Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Animals: Cute, But Deadly....

Alright. So before you start thinking I'm crazy, I just want you to know one thing. I love animals, I think they're great! Most of them anyways.........some are completely unacceptable, and I will NOT deal with them.

I have no problem looking at animals from a far, noticing their brilliant colors, their way of life, and how they interact with everything. It's once I get close to them--that reallllllly starts to freak me out! It's something about their beady eyes...or their sharp claws, or their obsession to sniff, flap their wings, or even stare you down.

My friend Nicole has these two birds, Chloe and Elle. They're so pretty! However, when she brings them into the room, my muscles tense up, and I'm terrified that they'll come near me!! I don't know what I'm afraid of, because I know that they're smaller than I am, and that they can't hurt me--but something about them being on my shoulders makes me cringe. They usually just sit on the bed and STARE me down. I think that's the creepiest part... Knowing that they're staring at you; thinking of attacking you--but not saying anything. They're silent--but sooo deadly...they're still pretty though!

Whenever I tell people that animals scare me, they automatically think that I hate them! SO not true. I am merely fearful for my life....

Some animals don't scare me at all though. My friend Hannah has a dog named Tinkerbell--and she's great. She's so fluffy, and I just love holding her! Every other dog though--heck NO I won't hold you! I just can't! Like literally--I can't help myself from freaking out. So I don't know why Hannah's dog is an exception.So....maybe there are more animals out there that I wouldn't mind holding, but for now, I'm still trying to steer clear of most of them...

Oh my gosh. One time, I went to my neighbors house to hang out--and this was like 3 ish years ago. She decides to show me her gerbils...or were they hamsters? What's the difference anyways?? I sure don't know...But it was like she was keeping "cute" rats in her house! Willingly, too!! I mean who does that?! I wanted to call the exterminator sooooo badly. She's like.."Aren't they cute?".........I had to force myself to say "yes", and then I excused myself from the room.
I seriously felt that I was going to die.

Over the years I've tried....I've ridden horses, put on deer goggles ( to understand more about them ), once I held a rabbit...until it peed on me ( which was mortifying..), and I even fed carrots to Llamas..(until they tried to bite me..), I even walk by the Pet Store occasionally! It's hard work trying to befriend these animals. I encourage all of you to do it though... :)

Want to know a secret?? When I was in second grade, I really wanted to be a veterinarian...until I learned that I actually had to come in contact with animals, and put them to sleep---which was just too heartbreaking. I soon changes my aspirations to be more realistic--an Interior Designer! but that's a different story... I just remember that in my 2nd grade class, there was a huge poster of people in different careers. The veterinarians always looked the happiest--so I decided I wanted to be like that one day. I'll still be happy with what I do in my future, I just won't be a vet.

Maybe I'll get used to animals one day?? Or....maybe I won't. I think one of the other reasons I've always been so afraid of animals is because I never had pets in my house as I was growing up. Actually--I take some of this back. My sister Erika used to be just like me, in the way that she was afraid of animals, but she could still tolerate them somewhat. However! She converted to the other side....her and her fiancee, Tyler, just bought a dog named Percy. At first I found this silly because Erika hated animals!!! Now she loves sleeping with her dog and she's completely changed her perspective on animals. Maybe the same will happen to me one day??

Animals are great----just not up close. They're much too dangerous and scary! They areee cute though. I'll give them that. :) Well....except for "cute" rats, or mice, or snakes, or big scary dogs, or mean cats, or angry geese that chase you down the road, or rabbits that pee on you, or llamas that threaten to bite you. Other that THAT---I'll admire them from a far. :)

1 comment: